Note: You can propose changes using the forum below.
MP3 decoders are always an issue for homebrew game developers. What is needed is a flexible library that can be used on a variety of consoles, but without the baggage of proprietary or GPL based licensing.Change History:
The successful library would:
- provide a C library of functions that can be used with GCC supported languages
- support playback of MP3 and uncompressed 8/16 bit WAV files, mixed together
- manage all memory when activated and deactivated
- identify MP3 files using ID3 tags
- play files in the background
- have a volume control API
- allow pause, seek, stop, start, looping via an API
- offer end of song callback via an API
- offer a song length and song position API
- be released under a LGPL or Modified BSD license.
Target platforms are: PSP, Wii, PS3, XBox 360. Linux, MacOS or Windows support would be welcome too of course.
SMPEG from LokiSoftware might be a good starting point to adapt.